Most people with a basic understanding of science and the human body will agree that mold is a subject that should not be taken lightly. Too often, families will only discover that they’ve been threatened by mold in their home once their health has already been impacted. For this reason, all home owners wary of mold should consider hiring mold inspection and mold remediation companies to ensure the safety of their family.
There are many different types of mold out there, and while some only present minor irritation and rashes to the general public, there are some aggressive forms that can be incredibly toxic to just about everyone. Since this makes the issue of mold a rather dangerous subject, it’s of critical importance to ensure that the job is in the hands of people who know what they’re doing.
What Is the Difference Between Mold Remediation and Mold Removal?
When you suspect that mold is present in your home, it’s generally unwise to try to handle the problem on your own, especially if you don’t have the right equipment. Otherwise, you may end up running the risk of inhaling mold spores and becoming sick. Because of this, mold inspection services have become increasingly popular.
Once mold has been detected, you may either need mold remediation or mold removal. If the mold that was discovered is a small amount of relatively harmless mold, then a simple removal may be all that’s necessary.
However, in some cases, the situation may call for a full mold remediation. If this is the case, then the mold remediation service you choose will do everything in its power to remove existing mold, sanitize the surrounding area, and prevent the spread of future mold growth. In some cases this can mean a demolition of the molded area, or adjustments to ensure that moisture can’t collect behind your walls.
What Should I Do Before I Call a Mold Remediation Company?
There are a few steps you can take as a homeowner to help your mold remediation company with their goal of making your house mold free.
- If you suspect that mold is growing in an area of your house, you should obviously stay away, and even isolate that area of the house by closing all of the doors and windows that lead from that area to any other part of the house.
- Learn about moisture in your area. If you live in a particularly humid area, this probably won’t be your last run-in with mold. If you know that an area of your house is consistently moist, it may be best to find a way to vent the area and prevent future growths.
- Document the problem. If you have a face mask and a pair of gloves, taking some pictures of potential mold growths can give your mold remediation company an idea of where to begin, and how serious your mold problem is.
Why You Should Trust a Mold Remediation Company
No matter what, do not try to handle the mold yourself. Although it may seem obvious that homeowners should just avoid mold entirely, there are many people out there who simply do not understand how difficult the process can be or how easy it is to mess up.
Even if you think you have the skills and the knowledge to do it yourself, there are several practical reasons why trusting an experienced mold remediation company is the best course of action to take.
- Your health isn’t worth it. No matter how equipped you think you are to take on a mold remediation job, the truth is that there are a number of dangers inherent in the process, and doing it incorrectly, or improperly equipping yourself beforehand, can have the gravest possible effects.
- You won’t do it as well as a mold remediation company. Regardless of your level of cleaning skill, mold remediation services have experience with many forms of mold that can’t simply be scrubbed away. Some forms of persistent mold require an experienced eye to determine if sanitation will suffice, or if complete replacement is necessary. Not only that, but many mold remediation companies use their own mix of cleaning chemicals and special tools devised specifically for their job.
- They will create a remediation plan based on how severe your problem is. In order to ensure that the problem doesn’t spread any further, some mold remediation companies have detailed battle plans to ensure that they don’t make your problems any worse. Depending on your needs, they may need to go through a litany of steps to ensure that your problems don’t immediately return.
- It’s easy to accidentally unsettle mold. It’s also especially dangerous when your mold growth is inside your air ducts, since they function as an instant gateway to every other area of the house. Mold remediation services have the experience to understand which locations are particularly hazardous and how to most effectively deal with the situation.
- They’ll be able to identify a source. More often than not, a professional remediation service will be able to tell you which contributing factors led to the growth of mold and how you can avoid this problem in the future. This is perhaps the most useful part of seeking mold remediation services. After all, you don’t want to have to call a mold removal specialist every year.
- They’ll understand where else mold could be hiding. If you’ve got mold in one area of your home, it’s probable that other areas have some growth as well. Specifically, a good mold remediation company will seek out common areas of moisture accumulation to ensure that your home is given a clean bill of health.
- Using a mold remediation service will leave you worry-free. The biggest problem that most people face when they try to eliminate mold growths on their own is the sense of uneasiness that comes from doing something unfamiliar. Especially with something as important as mold growth, it’s always best to ensure that the job is done right so you can sleep easy knowing that you and your family are as protected as possible.
The Importance of Acting Quickly When It Comes to Mold
In case we didn’t make it clear enough, mold is no joke. If you and your family have been experiencing symptoms like increased asthma sensitivity, itchy skin, sore eyes, persistent sneezing or coughing, and a chronic sore throat, it may be in your best interest to call a mold inspection company as soon as possible, and, if necessary, follow up with mold remediation.
Once you’ve confirmed that mold is the problem, it’s vital to act fast. The problem is inside your home, after all, and it’s probable that you’ve been exposed for longer than you realize.