Although most people won’t know whether or not they have mold in their home until they actually see it, there are many ways to figure it out long before it gets out of hand .
Below we’ve listed some of the most common signs that mold is growing somewhere within your house.
- Have you noticed a strange, musty odor? Mold gives off a very recognizable smell. If it’s only growing in one area of your home, it may be much easier to target and eliminate. Try looking behind your wallpaper before making any big demolition plans, as many homeowners find mold growing right there under their noses.
- Have your allergies gotten worse? Many allergy sufferers are the first to notice an increase in mold. Mold sends out spores that can sometimes trigger an allergic reaction, making those with allergies the “canary in the coal mine” for some households that fear mold growth.
- Has your home experienced water leaks or flooding? If water has a way of consistently settling behind your walls, it becomes much easier for mold to form. By exploring the areas of your house that are leaking, you can stop mold before it begins.
- Is the humidity high in your area? If so, you’ll want to check out your basement and attic regularly to ensure that condensation isn’t building up in critical portions of the home. Otherwise, you may find yourself cleaning mold from your air ducts quite often.
- Are you experiencing strange illnesses or other toxic symptoms? If you are suddenly feeling dizzy, have frequent headaches, or suffer from memory loss, it may be possible that toxic mold is making you feel this way.
By answering the questions above, you can begin to prevent mold growth in your home before it even happens. If you find mold in your home, it’s important to contact a mold removal service as soon as possible.